My friend, Adria, and I went to see Elizabeth Gilbert speak at Agnes Scott College on Monday evening. In case you don't already know, Gilbert is a fantastic writer, author of two books I have read in the past few years, The Last American Man and Eat, Pray, Love. I loved both of these books, though the latter definitely stood out to me. She says herself in the preface to her new book, Committed, that she had, previous to writing Eat, Pray, Love, been told that she "wrote like a man." Whatever that means, right? But I could definitely note a difference in her writing style between the two, and really did not even realize she was the author of The Last American Man until just this last week. I am sure the difference in her writing comes from the fact that Eat, Pray, Love was a memoir, and therefore her personal voice was really exposed. She said, while speaking to the fact that Hollywood is making Eat, Pray, Love into a movie, that all of her other short stories and novels feel like her creation, whereas it feels as if Eat, Pray, Love had a hand in creating her.
In any case, I adored the book and was very excited about hearing her speak in person. She read an excerpt from the first chapter of her new book and then answered about five questions from the audience before moving on to a book signing. After I left, I was trying to figure out why it is that I loved Eat, Pray, Love so much. It is definitely not because I wish I could be just like her -- not because I want to go through a terrible divorce so that I can go run off and spend a year abroad trying to find myself -- but I think it is because, if I were to be in her situation, I would hope to be just as brave and as adventurous as she was. She is just as funny, well spoken, and just plain delightful as she reads from the pages of her book. And did I mention that she is a fantastic writer?
I purchased her new book while at the event, and had Gilbert sign both it and the well-read copy of Eat, Pray, Love that Adria brought back to me. I originally borrowed that copy from my friend, Jenny, and then passed it on to Adria, whose boyfriend at the time also took a turn for a read. In the process, the book has lost its jacket, but it is still reading just as good. I know this because I picked it up to just reread the first few pages, and now cannot seem to put it down. So I guess I will be rereading it in its entirety prior to starting the new book (although I have already read the first few pages of that one too!).
[Note to Jenny: I either need to buy you a new copy with a jacket or send this one (which is now signed!) back to you once I am finished with the reread.]


3 comments:
Okay, this is going to dock me "cool" points (if I had any left or to begin with)-- and I'm not even sure I should admit it publicly because I know I am in the serious minority-- BUT I actually didn't like Eat, Pray, Love. I'm only being this honest so that you can believe me when I say that I am delighted the book has a happy home where it is appreciated and loved. You don't need to worry a minute about sending me a new one.
(There. Now that I have opened myself up to general wrath, watch me not even be the "Jenny" to whom you are referring. But I'm guessing I am, because I don't know what I've done with my copy of the book. Shows what close tabs I was keeping on it!)
Since this comment isn't long enough, I will add that I love hearing authors read from their work. I'm really glad you enjoyed that experience!
Heh. No, you are definitely the Jenny I am speaking of. And I actually had a vague memory of you saying you did not like the book, so it's not a total surprise to me. I still feel bad that I have your copy, though.
And don't worry -- you're still TOTALLY cool.
Can I just say that I am so very jealous that you not only got to attend her lecture, but also got to meet her??!!! And have her sign your book!!! So, so jealous. :) If you haven't read it yet, pull up the magazine article she wrote about being a "Coyote Ugly" when she was younger. I can't remember the name of the men's magazine she wrote it for . . . maybe "Maxim?" Anyway, it's great.
Post a Comment